Bakery and Confectionery
It is a great delight to be able to bake delicious cakes and pastries. All it needs is a bit of skill and training to be able to do this. Baking is an art which does not need a lot of heavy infrastructure and one can easily start earning with a small unit at home.
After going through this course, the students will be able to develop skill in various baking procedures know various kinds of ingredients used in baking have working knowledge of equipments needed for baking start a small bakery unit at home.
Self employment : set up a bakery at home Wage employment : as a worker / baker in a bakery.
One Year. The credit now be transfered as against any one academic course.
Scheme of Study
Theory – 40%, Practical – 60%
Education : VIIIth class pass / self certificate
Age : 15 years
Scheme of Evaluation
Internal assessment: NA
External examination: Total marks – 100
Combined pass in Theory and Practical (33%). If candidate fails in Theory but passes in practical, the pass credit of practical will be accumulated.
Unit 1: Ingredients
• Classification-perishables, Market survey of euipment & Equipments Non persishables, Semi-persishable.
• Selection, storage (hygiene) use
Unit 2: Biscuits
• Classification Baking various types of biscuits.
• Basic procedure in production.
• Types of biscuits: Salted, Ice-Box, Piping, Rolling, Macroons, Tarts
Unit 3 : Cakes
• Classification Baking cakes.
• Basic procedure – useful tips.
• Faults in baking cakes – identification and rectification.
• Decorative, Non-decorative.
Unit 4: Icing
•Classification Preparing and applying various types of Icing.
• Basic Procedure.
• Tools and Equipments.
Unit 5: Pastries
• Flaky and Puff Preparing various mixtures,types of pastes and mixtures.
– Patties, Vol-au-vont
– Khara Biscuits, Cheese straws
– Eclairs, Cream Rolls
– Profit Rolls
Unit 6: Breads
• Classification Baking danion pastry breads, Bread Rolls
• Basic Procedures
• Variations of Bread
Unit 7: Danish
• Classification Banking danish pastry Crossont: and croissonts
• Basic Procedures
Unit 7: Accounting Procedures
• Purchasing and sales Maintaining accounts procedure in a unit
• Maintenance of accounts
-final accounts etc.
• Calculation of
-selling & cost price, calculating selling price, gross profit, net profit.
-gross & net profit
-taxes, debit notes preparing a simple
-preparing invoices statement of account.